Isle of Man Steam Railway
The present steam railway line from Douglas to Port Erin is the last remaining part of the former 46-mile empire of the Isle of Man Railway Company, formed in 1870.
Its first line, from Douglas to Peel, was opened on July 1, 1873, to be followed 13 months later by the inauguration of services from Douglas to Port Erin on August 1, 1874.
This 3ft narrow gauge railway still runs with its original locomotives and carriages, through an ever changing countryside, to a choice of destinations in the south of the Island. At 15 and a half miles it is the longest narrow gauge steam line in Britain. Look out for the No. 4 'Loch', one of the original engines, still in service today.